Christmas may be gone but Jack Frost will be with us for a few months – and that means increased propane usage. At Modern Gas, we are committed to providing our customers with the best services and products available. We operate according to carefully enforced rules, regulations and procedures which are monitored by our trained experts. Propane is Eco-friendly and readily available in the United States making it the most universal of residential fuels. While propane is safe, reliable and clean, there are a few safety measures that must be taken.
It is important that you educate yourself and your family on the basic safety tips of propane.
Among these tips include:
- Make sure you are familiar with the smell of propane so that you recognize a leak. In simple terms, propane has the smell of sulfur – think eggs!
- If you smell gas:
- Immediately shut off all flames or spark-producing appliances.
- Leave the area immediately.
- Shut off the gas.
- Report the leak to Modern Gas by calling 229-435-6116 or call 9-1-1 if a technician is not readily available.
- Do not return to the area until a qualified service technician determines that it is safe.
- Know the symptoms. While you can smell propane, carbon monoxide is an odorless gas. Be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning which include a headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath and nausea. Call 9-1-1 immediately if anyone in your family exhibits symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Maintain your appliances with regular inspections by our trained technicians. Do not try to modify or repair any part of your propane gas appliance – leave that to us!
- Only attempt to relight a pilot light if you are properly trained. Call Modern Gas to perform services or maintenance to your appliance.
- Don’t run out of gas! It is important that your propane tank remain filled for reliability, efficiency, and safety.
For more information about propane usage and safety or to schedule an appointment with a service technician, please call us at 229-435-6116.